Sunday, February 10, 2008

Greetings From Accra

We arrived in Ghana last night, and made our way through customs to be greeted by Ram and a number of locals who were just trying to give us a hand, god bless -- really. Kjell and Ralph were met by their Peace Corps. contact and Ariel met by hers, which left Andrew and I to be taken to Raju's house by Ram. After watching some insanely great Indian soap operas and getting in touch with Nils, we gratefully passed out in Raju's living room on a queen-sized mattress under a mercifully placed ceiling fan.

Today started with roosters, tea, and several hundred sun-tanned keyboards. Andrew and I were set to sorting through around twenty boxes of the things stuffed in Raju's hallway as Kjell, Ralph, and Ram tracked down some SIM cards. Just when Andrew looked ready to pass out from a combination of heat stroke, fatigue, and other general non-manliness, they returned and we all sat down to sort out our cellphones. Later Kjell and I made a kingly feast of freeze-dried noodles and a grab bag of vegetables that I chopped up on what might have been a foot stool(???).

We set off for Ram's to help him with some computer troubles, meet up with Nils, and watch the finals game between Egypt and Camaroon. Ram's eldest son Hitesh's computer was repaired to a loving tune played by his younger brothers, their fists, shrieks, and laughter. We're now sitting together in Ram's living room drinking tea, and watching the game begin...

sp

No comments: