Thursday, February 21, 2008

The royalty among us

The past two days have seen the team head into the bush in a school bus to visit Nana Labis land. We were received at the Wisdom Preparatory School in Kyirenkum ("Ky" = "Ch"). A enthusiastic brass band with a limited repertoire gave us some dancing music, and we got down with the local chiefs and queen mothers. We proceeded to meet the Paramount chief and his advisors and elders, where he received each of us personally, and we danced some more. A TV crew was with us, so there's the possibility that KING 5 will buy footage from them. If so, I'm moving to Portland.

Yesterday, the team feasted on goat. Although I wasn't with the team, I hear that it was very dark, and there were many spectators. Each time a camera flash went off, they burst in to cheers. I understand that the goat was "rubbery", from which I surmise that our lucky team received the best bits (intestines and propinquitous goodies).

We're giving away soccer balls at some of the villages we stop at. Stitched soccer balls are remarkably expensive and rare here. If anybody needs a business plan, I think importing Chinese sports equipment to West Africa is a surefire moneymaker.

In order to mix with the students at BOASS (Boa-Amponsem Secondary School), we have been having our meals in the lunchroom with the rest of the students--one GTA rep per table. The conversations at my tables usually end up with school. Schools work very differently here: lots more time in the classroom, lots of emphasis on the examinations, and selecting an area of specialization several years earlier. I've also discussed washing machines, marriage proposals, and Twi, the local lingo. It's treacherous learning Twi, because every once in a while a student will slyly teach me some simple word for something edible, and later it will turn out to be something anatomical.

Today the gang is going to Nana Labis villages for further ceremonies. The "homeless" African Americans with us are going to be accepted into communities and titled, as a way of welcoming them back to their continent. Mr. Rye is also going to be titled.

I'm worried. "Chief Rye" is going to be hard to swallow.

--
Be well,
Nils

No comments: